How To Wear A Blazer
WRITTEN BY Julia Moreno Cereijo
How to Wear a Blazer in 2023
Women blazers are versatile wardrobe staples that can instantly elevate any outfit. Whether you're going for a casual or sophisticated attire, a blazer outfit can be your go-to choice. In this article, we will: explain all the different types of blazers, explore different ways on how to wear a blazer, from classic to trendy, and provide timeless blazer looks for diverse occasions. Let's dive in!
What is a Blazer
A blazer is a classic jacket that adds a touch of sophistication and refinement to any outfit. Originally designed as a sports jacket, blazers have evolved into a staple piece for both men and women. They are typically tailored, structured jackets that exude a polished and put-together look. Blazers offer endless possibilities for creating stylish outfits and can effortlessly transition from formal to casual settings.
Components of a Blazer
To correctly style and wear a blazer, it is important to understand all its components. These are the following:
- Fabric: The fabric of a blazer determines its overall look and feel. Some common fabric types for blazers include:
- Wool: This is a warm and durable fabric, perfect for colder seasons.
- Tweed: Offering a classic and textured appearance, this fabric is elegant and stylish.
- Linen: Lightweight and breathable, it is the ideal textile for warmer climates.
- Cotton twill: This fabric offers versatility and a casual vibe to the blazer and overall outfit.
- Velvet: Velvet is the perfect fabric for adding a luxurious touch to any garment.
- Lapel: The lapel is the folded flap of fabric on the front of the blazer, extending from the collar to the chest. It adds a touch of sophistication and character to the jacket. There are different lapel styles, including notched lapels, peak lapels, and shawl lapels, each creating a distinct look.
- Buttons: Buttons on a blazer not only serve a functional purpose but also contribute to its overall style. They can be made of various materials, such as plastic or metal, and may be covered with fabric to match the blazer's design.
- Shoulders: The shoulder construction of a blazer is crucial for its fit and style. The shoulders should align with your natural shoulder line to provide a tailored and polished appearance.
- Hem: The hem refers to the bottom edge of the blazer. It can be straight or curved, contributing to the blazer's length and style. The hemline should be chosen based on personal preference and body proportions.
- Breast Pockets: Most blazers have one or two breast pockets on the left side. These pockets serve both a functional and decorative purpose, allowing you to store small items like pocket squares or pens.
Types of Blazers for Women
Blazers are a fashion essential for women. They effortlessly elevate any outfit, adding a touch of sophistication. With their versatility and range of styles, there's a blazer to suit every occasion and personal taste. From classic and structured designs to more relaxed and contemporary options, let's explore the different types of blazers for women:
- Single-Breasted Blazer: This timeless style features a single row of buttons down the front, creating a sleek and polished look. Single-breasted blazers are incredibly versatile, making them suitable for both formal and casual settings. They are a wardrobe staple that can be effortlessly paired with various outfits.
- Double-Breasted Blazer: If you want to make a statement, a double-breasted blazer is the way to go. With its two parallel rows of buttons, this style exudes sophistication and elegance. Double-breasted blazers are often associated with formal occasions and add a touch of refinement to any ensemble.
- Peplum Blazer: For a feminine and figure-flattering silhouette, the peplum blazer is a great choice. This style features a fitted waistline and a flared peplum detail, accentuating curves and creating an hourglass shape. Peplum blazers strike the perfect balance between chic and playful.
- Waterfall Blazer: If you prefer a more relaxed and flowy look, consider a waterfall blazer. With its open front and cascading lapels, this style adds an effortless and casual vibe to any outfit. Waterfall blazers are perfect for creating chic and easy-going ensembles.
- Wool Blazer: When the temperature drops, a wool blazer is your go-to option. With its warmth, durability, and refined appearance, a wool blazer adds a touch of luxury to your outfit. It's a classic choice that provides structure and sophistication, making it suitable for both formal and professional settings.
- Linen Blazer: Embrace the breezy and carefree vibe of summer with a linen blazer. Lightweight and breathable, linen blazers offer a relaxed yet polished look. They are perfect for creating effortlessly chic outfits during warmer seasons.
- Cotton Blazer: When it comes to comfort and versatility, a cotton blazer is a must-have. These blazers are lightweight, breathable, and often come in various colours and patterns. Cotton blazers strike the perfect balance between casual and put-together.
- Tweed Blazer: If you're drawn to a textured and sophisticated style, a tweed blazer is an excellent choice. Made from wool and featuring intricate patterns like herringbone or houndstooth, tweed blazers exude elegance and vintage charm. They are an excellent option for creating refined and timeless looks.
How to Wear a Blazer in 2023
Blazers have been a must-have fashion item for women for quite some time, but in 2023, they have become more versatile and stylish than ever. Whether you want to achieve a casual, sophisticated, or trendy look, a blazer can effortlessly elevate your outfit. From pairing it with jeans for a chic and relaxed vibe to layering it over a dress for a touch of elegance, the possibilities are endless. In this section, we will explore the latest trends and provide tips on how to wear a blazer in 2023. Discover the perfect fit, explore different styles, and learn how to create fashionable, timeless and cute blazer looks. Get ready to embrace the power of the blazer and unleash your individuality and personal style.
BLAZER WITH TROUSERS
Enhance your outfits by blending a blazer with trousers, striking the perfect balance of professionalism and individuality. For a touch of casual flair, opt for an oversized blazer or trousers, elevating your look way further.
When summer arrives, prioritise coolness with linen or linen-cotton blends. Coordinate your pants and blazer to make a bold style statement. The timeless and classic appeal of languid fabrics like linen and cotton will enhance your look, while oversized designs add a unique touch of individuality. Embrace the versatility of relaxed fabrics, allowing you to make a chic and confident statement in the workplace.
Blazer and Tank Top
Revamp your warm-weather wardrobe with the perfect fashion combination of a blazer and tank top. Embrace the versatility of sleeveless tops as they become the hero of your summer outfits. Add a touch of sophistication by pairing them with a chic blazer.
Solidify your winning ensemble by completing the look with stylish straight-leg jeans in winter, or comfortable linen trousers in summer. The combination of the structured blazer and the relaxed tank top creates a harmonious balance of casual and refined.
Whether you're heading to the office or enjoying a casual outing, this fashion combination will keep you looking effortlessly chic and put-together. Embrace the endless possibilities of this stylish pairing and let your summer style shine.
Blazer over Dress
Elevate your style with the timeless combination of a blazer over a dress. The classic midi dress and blazer look exude effortless sophistication, making it a versatile option for both warm and cooler seasons. When winter calls for a break from pants, opt for a long-sleeve midi dress in heavier drape fabrics, paired with knee-high leather boots and a cosy wintry blazer. Neutral colourways like cream, camel, and grey create a seamless harmony, while a micro floral pattern adds texture. In summer, swap to a lightweight cotton or viscose midi dress with a linen blazer, paired with leather sandals or strappy platforms. Complete the look with metallic or natural-inspired jewellery. Embrace the fusion of relaxed fabrics and structured pieces for a fashion-forward, modern street-style-cool aesthetic.
Blazer with a Knitwear
Achieve a stylish and cosy look by combining a blazer with a knitwear piece. When the temperatures start to drop, and you want to showcase your favourite blazer without the bulk of a heavy coat, layering a chunky, warming knitted jumper underneath is the perfect solution. This smart casual ensemble is a street-style classic, suitable for both casual workplaces and relaxed outings. To achieve maximum warmth, opt for a soft and lofty jumper with a high mock neck or roll neck. Pair this look with classic jeans or trousers that complement your style and occasion. Choose a blazer in lighter cotton or linen fabrics for a relaxed and comfortable fit, or go for a boxy and oversized silhouette for a more statement-making look. Complete the ensemble with the perfect footwear, such as ankle boots or casual sneakers for relaxed occasions, or pointed pumps and strappy heels for dressier settings. Embrace the combination of a blazer and knitwear to stay stylish and warm during cooler days.
Blazer with a Button-Down Shirt
Incorporate a touch of sophistication into your workwear with the timeless combination of a blazer and a button-down shirt. Gone are the days of exclusively donning matching suits; now, it's all about mixing and matching separates for a fresh and stylish look. Take a pencil skirt and pair it with a crisp white button-down shirt, then top it off with a sophisticated brown chequered single-breasted blazer. The result? A dapper look that exudes confidence and individuality.
The combination of the structured blazer and classic button-down shirt creates a perfect balance of elegance and refinement. The tailored silhouette of the blazer adds a touch of polish, while the crispness of the button-down shirt brings a hint of sophistication. This versatile pairing allows you to effortlessly transition from the office to after-work engagements, commanding attention and leaving a lasting impression.
How to Pick a Blazer
When it comes to picking the perfect blazer, your personal style should be the primary consideration. With a wide range of blazer styles available, it's easy to choose an option that aligns with your preferences. Once you've identified your style preferences, selecting a blazer that flatters your body type is the next step in the decision-making process.
If you have broad shoulders, it's advisable to avoid blazers with excessive structure or shoulder pad detailing, as these features can accentuate your shoulder width. On the other hand, if you have narrow shoulders, structured blazers with shoulder padding can provide a natural balance to your body shape.
For petite women, the length of the blazer is crucial. Long or oversized blazers can sometimes overwhelm your frame, so opting for shorter or even cropped styles tends to be more flattering. However, if you're drawn to oversized or long blazers, ensure they're not overly long and pair them with high heels to add height and balance to the overall look.
Consider your personal style and body type when selecting a blazer, and remember that experimentation and confidence are key to finding the perfect fit.
FAQ about styling a Blazer
- What is the difference between a blazer, a coat, and a suit?
A blazer is a tailored jacket, typically with a more casual style and made of lightweight fabric. A coat, on the other hand, refers to an outerwear garment designed for warmth, often longer in length. Finally, a suit consists of matching jacket and trousers, typically made of the same fabric, and is intended for formal occasions.
- How do I choose the right size blazer?
To choose the right size blazer, consider the fit around your shoulders, chest, and waist. The blazer should have a comfortable and tailored fit, allowing for ease of movement while still maintaining a defined shape. It's recommended to try different sizes and styles to find the one that flatters your body proportions the best.
- What are the benefits of choosing a linen blazer over a wool blazer?
Choosing a linen blazer offers benefits such as breathability and lightweight comfort, making it ideal for warmer climates or summer occasions. Linen fabric allows better airflow, keeping you cool and preventing overheating. On the other hand, a wool blazer provides warmth and insulation, making it suitable for colder seasons or formal settings.
- What you shouldn’t wear with a blazer?
While it is possible to create a more street-style look combining a blazer with some loose trousers or chic sneakers, it is advisable to avoid pairing it with overly casual items such as sweatpants, athletic sneakers, or beach flip flops.
- Should the blazer be tight or loose?
The blazer should have a tailored fit that is neither excessively tight nor overly loose. It should skim your body, with enough room to layer a shirt or lightweight sweater underneath. Aim for a fit that accentuates your shape without feeling restrictive, ensuring the shoulders align properly and the sleeves have the right length.
- What blazer colour is the most versatile?
A navy blue blazer is considered the most versatile choice as it pairs well with a wide range of colours and can be dressed up or down. Navy complements various trousers, jeans, and shirts, making it a reliable option for both professional and casual occasions.
- Can you wear black jeans with a blazer?
Yes, black jeans can be paired with a blazer for a stylish and contemporary look. Opt for a blazer in a complementary colour, such as navy, grey, or camel, and choose a tailored fit to balance the casualness of the jeans. Finish the outfit with appropriate footwear, such as loafers or heels for a formal occasion, or chic sneakers or ankle boots for a more casual setting.
Naiste joped ja pintsakud